I remember my Grandma Hattie making this delicious dish way back when. Over the years I've made this delicious dish and served it to thousands of people. You won't find a much better meal anywhere.
The Best Cornbread You Will Ever Eat
1. Two Tablespoons Bacon Drippings
2.One Cup All Purpose Flour
3. One Cup Yellow Cornmeal
4. One Tablespoon Baking Powder
5. One Teaspoon Salt
6. One Cup Buttermilk
7. One Large Egg
8. One Fourth Cup Green Onions Including Tops Diced Fine
9. Six Ounces Gouda Cheese Cut In Small Cubes
Place the bacon drippings in a 10 inch cast iron skillet, tilting pan to coat the bottom of the pan. Heat in the oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
Mix all the rest of your ingredients in a large bowl being sure to stir the ingredients up well together.
Take the pan out of the oven after 10 minutes and pour the bacon drippings into the batter and stir well to mix.
With the pan hot pour the batter into the hot pan and put it into the hot oven and bake for twenty minutes at 375 degrees or until done. Immediately remove from the skillet and you'll have the best cornbread you'll ever eat. Oh man that's some good cornbread.
Butter Beans , Bacon , And Tomatoes
This dish has been made in the American south for hundreds of years. I love it and I wouldn't be scared to bet you if you try it you will to. You make the cornbread above and then you serve this dish over the cornbread for a delicious meal that you won't soon forget.
Ingredients For Your Butter Beans, Bacon, And Tomatoes
1. Four Slices Of Bacon, diced up fine.
2. One Cup Sweet Onion diced up fine.
3. One Tablespoon Minced Fresh Garlic.
4. One Bay Leaf.
5. One Half Cup Green Bell Pepper diced up fine.
6. Seven Plum Tomatoes diced up fine.
7. Four Cups Chicken Broth.
8. Four Cups Frozen Lima Beans.
9. Two Tablespoons Fresh Finely Diced Parsley.
10. One Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt.
11. One Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper.
12. One Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce.
Start off by cooking your bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until the bacon is near done and add the onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, and the garlic to the pan and cook until your vegetables are just done but not browned.
Now add all your ingredients to a six quart slow cooker or crock pot and cook on medium for at least six hours. Stir about every hour from the bottom up. In about six hours your beans should be perfect and you'll want to remove the bay leaf and discard it.
You want to serve this dish over a square or slice of the above cornbread recipe and oh man I can't wait until you taste it.