Cowboy Beans Recipe For The Crock Pot
Ingredients For Cowboy Beans
1. 2 cups pinto beans (dried)
2. 1 tbsp bacon fat
3. 1 tbsp vegetable oil
4. 1 yellow onion (chopped)
5. 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
6. 1 smoked ham hock
7. 2 cups water
8. 2 cups coffee (black)
9. 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
10. 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos (chopped, optional)
11. Monterey Jack cheese (grated for garnish optional)
12. 1/4 cup red onion (chopped, garnish optional)
Place ingredients 1 - 10 in your crock pot or slow cooker and turn on high for eight hours. Keep the lid on tight and resist the urge to peek. You do want to check about every two hours to be sure the beans are not getting to dry. If they do add a cup of black coffee.
These are some of the most fantastic beans that you will ever eat in your life. You can put the jalapenos in or not. I almost always do and even little kids love them. Especially over the Chuckwagon Biscuits below.
Chuck Wagon Biscuits
Ingredients For Your Chuck Wagon Biscuits
1. 2 pkg. dry yeast
2. 1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
3. 2 cups buttermilk
4. 3/4 cup vegetable oil
5. 7 cups all-purpose flour
6. 3 tbsp. baking powder
7. 1 tsp. baking soda
8. 1 tsp. sugar
9. 1 tsp. salt
Combine yeast and warm water in a small mixing bowl, stirring to dissolve; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add buttermilk and oil to yeast mixture; stir well.
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add buttermilk mixture, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 3 to 4 times. Shape dough into 2 inch balls; place 1/8 inch apart in 3 well greased 9 inch cast iron skillets. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 3 dozen. Note: Biscuits may be place in greased baking pans to rise and bake.
And you now know how to make some of the best Chuck Wagon Biscuits that you'll ever eat in your life. A Chuck Wagon cook that could make great biscuits was worth his weight in gold.
Chuck Wagon Casserole
If you make the beans and the biscuits you just have to make the Chuck Wagon Casserole. This casserole is really delicious. I guarantee that it is one of the best things you'll ever eat in your life. The recipe below calls for Grands Biscuits but you can use your own Chuck Wagon Homemade Biscuits if you desire.
Ingredients For Your Chuck Wagon Casserole
1. 1lb ground beef
2. 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
3. 1 Medium Yellow onion very well diced
4. 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
5. 1 can (28 oz) baked beans, undrained
6. 2 cups red kidney beans, drained, rinsed (from 19-oz can)
7. 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
8. 1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
9. 2 tablespoons cornmeal, if desired
Steps For Making The Chuck Wagon Casserole
1. Brown beef in 12-inch skillet, add onions in last 5 min. of cooking time, cook till onions are soft then drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except biscuits and cornmeal .
2. Heat to boiling. Pour into sprayed 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
3. CUT each biscuit into 4 pieces. Roll in cornmeal. Arrange over beef mixture.
4. Bake at 350°F 30 to 35 minutes or until biscuits are deep golden brown.
This casserole is delicious. I often make it with left over cowboy beans and people love it. I often serve sour cream, guacamole, and fine diced green onions including the tops on the side.
Please Do Us A Favor
Please post this post to Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, And Facebook. Thanks Very Much.