Here we have a copycat recipe for Pop Eyes Red Beans And Rice that is simply marvelous. If your looking for a really delicious recipe for red beans and rice then you need to make this delightfully delicious recipe for red beans and rice.
1. 1 (15 ounce) can red beans
2. 1 slice salt pork (about 1-inchx4-inch) or 1 slice pork fatback (about 1-inchx4-inch)
3. 2 tablespoons oil
4. 2 tablespoons diced onions
5. 1 tablespoon bell pepper
6. 1/2 teaspoon sugar
7. 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Pinch of each
celery seed, powder
1/2 cup water
1. Cook oil, pork, onion, and green pepper over low-med heat until meat is translucent & fat is rendered. Don't brown or overcook meat.
2. Put meat mixture (incl. all the fat & oil) in food processor with a little water and about 25 beans and mix until blended & smooth. Place back in cooking pot.
3. Mix or pulse remaining beans in food processor with enough water until it has consistency of salsa. Add to cooking pot.
4. Add remaining ingredients to cooking pot (spices, liquid smoke, sugar) and enough water to make a loose, soupy mixture (the beans will thicken the mixture as it cooks).
5. Cook over low-med heat for 10 minutes, stirring, and adding water as necessary to end up with the consistency of thick gravy. Serve over quality white rice.